So that is another 1 year – 365 days – 52 weeks – 8,760 hours – 525,600 minutes – 31,536,000 seconds – ticked off. When you write it like that it seems incredible that its now just gone and we are driven to think about what have we done to fill it, what have we achieved and what are we proud of? Then there is the pressure to “know” how we will best use the next 31.5 million seconds as of 00:01 tomorrow.
As I am sitting drinking my last coffee of 2017 (might be able to squeeze another one in being me – guilty!), listening to “Under Pressure” followed by “She’s a Maniac” (both very fitting!), I guess it is etiquette to reflect on the last 365 days. But being me, I am of course going to do it in my own little way. 2016 saw me write a poem, so to ensure 2017 is also given an Eloise twist I am calling this blog “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.” I will provide three examples of each and how this will be built on, improved and/or addressed in 2018 – and of course photo moments where applicable!
- PROFESSIONAL Licence: After the events of 2016 this was always my goal for 2017. Ok, like I mentioned in a previous blog, it wasn’t quite how I knew and believed I could obtain it but if anything I am proud I could bounce back (well climb back more realistic) and achieve my dream.
2018: Live the dream and remember what it means to have it.
- HAUTE ROUTE: What an amazing three days in Southern France with a great team: The Cycle Studio! This event, despite being a bit of last minute “fun” proved to me that I can race hard and well by using my intuition to “feel it” and just be myself – competitive, fun loving and ambitious. Not sure when I lost this feeling but the Haute Route marked its return.
2018: Race in this way – just be myself!
- RUNNING: Yup that’s it! Just great to be finishing the year feeling the most “runnery” I have felt since my Cross-Country and Track days. Thanks to Jon Davis and the Boss, we are finally cracking the Eloise body puzzle and moving forward – wow wow wow!
2018: Keep loving every run and being cautious to keep building up slowly – why rush now… exactly, no point!
- FATIGUE: After a hard block in the Alps I was wiped out emotionally, physically and mentally which led to illness and niggles that caused my Coach and I to make the call to finish the season early.
2018: Following big races and/or goals take appropriate rest both mentally and physically to ensure I am fully recharged and ready to push on.
- FEAR: Following the year of injury, pain and disappointments in 2016, I started 2017 in fear that one my body would just keep breaking and two what if I could not do this, aka follow my dream of being a top Triathlete. Every “odd” sensation in my body sent me into a frenzy of panic, worry and doubts about the next day let alone the next week or race. But thanks to everyone around me being patient, reassuring me and letting me just keep putting one step in front of the other (literally) I rebuilt the mentality not “what if I can’t” to “what if I can”.
2018: is the year of “what if I can…” anything is possible!
- LOCKING MYSELF OUT OF THE HOUSE at 7am in -3C: Yup it is true, in my world anything is possible and the quote “if you can dream it, you can do it” in all ways is the story of my life. So yes, on my first day of dog/house sitting I locked myself out of the house which led to explaining to the neighbours that no I was trying to break into the house or that I was homeless, as I wore some classy trackies, a beanie and a hoodie.
2018: maybe spend a little less time in the trackie, hat combo!
- HEAT: from two races it is evident its not pretty when I race in anything above 25C – see exhibit A!
2018: Heat camps before races will become essential, 2018 = year of the fry and bake Eloise!
- St.MORITZ: what goes on camp stays on camp, but I will let you into a little insight into the day we did a brick session and I went “kamikaze” on myself at altitude just because I wasn’t winning and wanted to “see if I could” – now that was dumb…
2018: Pick your fights, or at least try to! You’ll have him next time – Good luck Steffan!
- COFFEE: just add coffee or you will be in for a shock, and yes ask my housemate and/or cat what I am like pre my 6am coffee…!
2018: Keep drinking coffee… AND what?!
From the highs to the lows, from the tears to the laughs, this year would not have been the same without the amazing people I am lucky enough to have in my life and to my sponsors and support network that make this crazy dream real. Thank you – without you it really would not be possible.
A special thanks to Dave, Renee, John, Ben, Pete and Jon.D – you have all gone out of your way this year to keep me sane, happy and strong. I am so grateful for everything you have done, now and always.
So that’s a wrap – I am excited for 2018 as I know already it will be full of new opportunities, adventures and most importantly fun, see you on the other side, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Make sure to live every minute in 2018 and make those seconds count.
Lots of Love,